Meetings and Events
If you are a person with a disability who has been impacted by the flood, or know someone who is and who needs assistance, the following are contacts for rescue services especially for people with disabilities.
Portlight Inclusive Disaster Strategies
Portlight Inclusive Disaster Strategies is the nation’s only disaster relief and recovery organization for people with disabilities. Portlight provides durable medical equipment and other equipment that people with disabilities may need.
Representatives from Portlight are currently in West Virginia. Contact:
Shari Myers, email firstname.lastname@example.org and cell phone, 214-755-3446
Please contact Shari if there are any needs or problems at Red Cross shelters.
This summer FREE meals are being served in the community for kids and teens. This is open to all children 18 and younger at no cost. To see the locations click —–> Summer Meals
July is filled with fun community events. Click July Events
This year The Families Conference will be having FOUR one day conferences. Check out this Flyer for more information
Try Again Homes is holding a Back to School Rally for the 2016-2017 school year. The Parkersburg PD will give a presentation and pass out information on ANTI BULLYING. July 30, 2016 at the City Park Pavilion ( Parkersburg) 1-3 pm.
Our Support group is going on vacation. Due to so many people traveling and having plans throughout the summer, support group is on hold until September. The next meeting will be September 8th, 2016 at 6pm. Our speakers will be Wood County Parent Educator Resource Center.
MSPCAN holds it’s support group meeting “Parents Helping Parents” on the second Thursday of each month at 6pm. There are featured speakers and various subjects. Our new address is 1739 Saint Marys Ave. Suite B, Parkersburg, WV. For more information or to register call 304-428-0365.
- Doddridge County Starting Points now has two in-home parent educators with the Parents as Teachers program. Parents as Teachers, or PAT, is a nationally recognized home visitation program for parents with children from prenatal through kindergarten age. Our new address is 103 Sistersville Pike, West Union, WV 26456. If you have any questions about the program, please call 304-873-3500
- Parenting classes will be every Wednesday from 10-11:30 a.m at Starting Points. Come enjoy workshops/ information designed to meet your child’s needs. They are located in the former West Union Grade School, bottom floor.
- Kids Corner Play Group – every Thursday there will be a parent/ child activity from 11:30-1 at Starting points. This is a playgroup for young children. We emphasize parent involvement and the value of play. WE keep the groups small. We play with toys, games, music, and sometimes we get messy, so wear something you don’t mind getting dirty in. For more information call (304) 873-3500 or email at email@example.com They are located in the former West Union Grade School, bottom floor
- Harrison County Autism, Down Syndrome, and AD/HD Support Group Meetings are monthly at 6 pm in conjunction with the Social Skills Meeting. Parents, educators, and children are invited. Contact PERC at 304-326-7692 or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org
- PERC Meetings – Harrison County Parent/ Educator Resource Center Rt. 3 Box 43-B, Suite 205 Clarksburg, WV 26301 Former Gore Middle School 2nd Floor Phone 326-7693 E-Mail email@example.com Melody Waybright-Pam Hotsinpiller. Workshops cancelled if school is closed. All workshops are FREE. Open to parents/families, educators and service personnel. All workshops held at PERC Office ALC (Former Gore School), 2ndfloor unless otherwise noted.
- Relatives as Parents group meets the last Thursday of the month at 7:00 PM at the Pleasants County Middle School Library.
Refreshments are served and childcare is provided. For more information, contact Sheri West at 304-684-7643
- Circle of Parents Support Group meets at Westbrook Health Services on 7th Street in Parkersburg on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month from 10 am to 11:30 am.
- Circle of Parents Support Group meets at the Disability Action Center on Benoni Ave in Fairmont WV on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of each month from 12:30 pm to 2:00 pm