We believe children and youth who have serious emotional, behavioral, or mental health challenges:
- Must be individuals first.
- Have rights and strengths that should be respected by all.
- Are members of a family.
Families of these young people:
- Have strengths and needs.
- Must be viewed as team members and experts since they have 7 days a week, 24 hours a day lifelong experiences.
- Have many ways of adjusting to family needs.
- Are a source of strength for their young people.
Services provided to children or youth with special needs and their families:
- Must emphasize strengths, must be based on need, and are affordable.
- Must be accessible for that family.
- Must be provided respectfully, non-judgmentally, and unconditionally.
- Must be provided when possible, support through networking and partnerships with others.
- Must be provided locally whenever possible.